Thursday, June 18, 2009

True Prosperity by James Robison

"Discernment is not a matter of simply telling the difference between right and wrong; rather, it is telling the difference between right and almost right" Charles H. Spurgeon

During my time at ASU books would randomly appear on my desk...usually GREAT books....

Just before my departure...a new set of books appeared and among them was the book True Prosperity by James Robison. As I watched Stefan swim yesterday I picked it up and began to read...I was not ready for what the pages of this book contained!

Over the past several months as we've prepared to leave for Guatemala I have struggled through what it means to "give up what I cannot keep to gain what I cannot lose." Let me explain....
For the past four years I have made a home for my family....which of course is not limited to material things but of course includes them. I wanted our home to be comforting, safe and a refuge really from the business of life. And as I began preparing our family to move to Guatemala I struggled to give up sentimental things - - - like picture frames, special projects that Stefan made and even some items of furniture. I wondered if I was sinning by not wanting to get rid of "stuff" and rationalized that I had had a HUGE garage sale and several free bazars at my home giving things to friends and students. Still on the night before we were to leave there was so much "stuff" left. Had I been disobedient?

As I walked to the dumpster for the millionth time, I felt the Lord whisper to my heart:
"Toni do you not think that ALL of me is better than all this stuff?"

The Apostle Paul addresses this very issue in II Corinthians 7:8-9
"See that you also excel in this grace of giving. I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it with the earnestness of others. For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich."

My answer: Yes....YES Lord I know that ALL of you is better...only help me to obey.

As I read through True Prosperity God is confirming the battle/struggle that is raging inside me and I am beginning to see that even through I feel it's important to craft a home for my son....to make a place for him to feel secure, comfortable and safe from this world, it is even more important to seize opportunities to invest in Stefan's little heart....because while the picture frames will not accompany us on our journey into eternity - - Stefan's little heart/soul will.

I am humbled today! And grateful for the Father's patience as He teaches me the way that I should walk!

(If you have a chance....pick up True Prosperity by James Robison! The Lord has really used it in my life!)

1 comment:

  1. I think I have a new one for my book list! Your sweet soul is so encouraging to me. Thank you for your real honesty at the real side of life. Tara

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am the daughter of the most amazing parents in the world, the sister of four amazing women and mother of the most amazing "little man" on the planet. My son Estefan and I are preparing to answer God's invitation to join the work He is doing at small orphanage in Guatemala. On June 22, 2009 we excitedly resumed our role as Discipleship Coordinator and Social Worker.

Lov'n Life!